Monday, September 13, 2010

My first GFree Dinner...

Rice Flour, Potato Flour, Teff, Quinoa...UMMM WHAT?!?!

yeah, that was my first thought too! I spent some time this morning at a local natural foods store, Natural Choice Market, and YIKES! They had lots of GFree items and were SO helpful but I didn't just want to buy one of everything (especially after trying the bars I bought the day before at the grocery store...YUCK!)

I did get some recommended bread and chicken stock...yup that is all!!!

I couldn't imagine buying all the different GFree flours and coming home and only using one kind...

I did some "Google-ing" (is that even a word!?) for some GFree recipes and found a yummy Stuffed Peppers one that I had to try out! That was one I had all the ingredients at home (and I can pronounce!!)

So yup, at 2pm, dinner is all ready to go into the oven! I don't know who will be more excited...me for making a dinner or my husband for having dinner ready for him (and cleaned out the spice cabinet in search of some goods!)!!
This simple recipe was one we ate a lot of growing up so I know it will taste good!! and my house smells so...yummy!!

Seriously, this is a great go to meal! (and you don't need any fancy ingredients!)

Here is the recipe I used ( I did not have celery salt so omitted that)

---------------------
Stuffed Peppers (Going Gluten Free)

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bay leaves

3 medium peppers, sliced in half (stem to bottom) and cleaned out
1 lb ground meat (we used ground chicken, but you can use beef, turkey, pork, whatever you like)
2 cups cooked white rice
1 TBS each: garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning
Dash salt & pepper
1/4 cup ketchup
1 egg


For sauce, in a large oven safe skillet (that also has a lid) heat can of tomatoes, add olive oil, minced garlic and bay leaves...heat until almost boiling, but don't let it boil.

In a large bowl mix the ground meat, rice, seasonings, ketchup and egg. Stuff into pepper halves.

Place pepper halves into the cooking sauce. Spoon sauce over top of the peppers so that they are covered with sauce.

Cover and place in the oven. Allow to bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until peppers are VERY tender.

-------------------------

Can't wait to see how it goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment